Sunday, November 2, 2014

Outside My Comfort Zone - Lessons in Leadership Week 4



Stepping outside your comfort zone, well it's uncomfortable. Those who know me, know that I am not particularly spontaneous, that I like things well-planned and predictable. I don't handle ambiguity or uncertainty well. Yet, so often lately this is where I find myself. And as uncomfortable as it can be, I am recognizing that these moments  also tend to be some of the richest opportunities for learning and for growth.

These moments of uncertainty and unpredictability have taught me some pretty valuable lessons:

1) Sometimes you really do just have to let go, and let God. Pray. Never underestimate the power of prayer.

2) Derive strength from supportive colleagues and friends. This has been huge for me over the past few years. Having individuals that you can call on, confide in, and elicit honest feedback from are critical.

3) Quiet the doubting voices in your head by continuing to move forward. Even if it's just baby steps, incremental progress is infinitely better than no progress at all.

4) Check out the long-range forecast. Try not to focus too much on the present turmoil and look beyond it.

5) A little humility goes a long way. Be willing to laugh at yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment