Saturday, September 14, 2013

#LeadWithHeart

#LeadWithHeart


As I embark on my own leadership journey through the Central New York Teacher Leadership Program, I have been reflecting on what it really means to be a leader, and specifically a teacher leader. I have spent a lot of time considering what makes a great leader, and what I have come up with is that great leaders lead with their hearts.  I have some pretty amazing leaders in my PLN, but a few in particular standout: Steven Garraffo, George Couros, Peter DeWitt, Tony Sinanis, Leah Whitford and Fr. Christopher Celentano.

These individuals have demonstrated through action and word what it means to lead with heart. There is so much we can learn from them, but perhaps the most important lesson is the absolute necessity of valuing human relationship, and how vital it is to lead with heart. Leading with heart is more important than the knowledge you have of policy or pedagogy.  It is greater than the wealth of your experience, all of these are important to be sure, but they pale in comparison to effectiveness of leading with heart. 


Keep your heart with all vigilance; for from it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for mentioning me Christina. The people I have met, including you, through social media have really had an impact on what I do every day. Those connections are authentic and important.
    As for leading with heart, I am a big proponent of servant leadership (Greenleaf). I feel it is the job of the leader to serve others and not themselves. It should be the central mission of what we do.

    ReplyDelete